Monday, March 2, 2009

Ride The Rockies 2009

I've been picked to be a participant in the Ride The Rockies bicycle tour this year. This makes the 11th time I've been chosen. I did my first one in 1995 and have failed to be chosen in the lottery only twice since then. There were two years that I did not enter the lottery for the ride, but otherwise I've been pretty successful.

I've gone around telling people that I was going to quit after 10, but once I looked at this year's route, I changed my mind. This year the tour will travel from Glenwood Springs over McClure Pass to Hotchkiss. Then it's Hotchkiss to Gunnison; that'll be along the Black Canyon. From Gunnison we'll head to Salida over Monarch Pass. We'll ride to Leadville from Salida along the Arkansas River. We'll climb Independence Pass when we go from Leadville to Aspen and the final day will be from Aspen back to Glenwood Springs.

Although I'm familiar with a good portion of the route (Gunnison to Salida to Leadville), I've not ridden over McClure or along the Black Canyon. Neither have I climbed the east side of Independence Pass. I have done it from the Aspen side to the summit, but not from the Leadville side. I haven't ridden my bike down the Roaring Fork Valley from Aspen to Glenwood Springs either.

I've done a fair amount of cycling over the years and I'll offer some thoughts about that experience as this blog advances. It's a wonderful way to become acquainted with the state and its people. Things sure look different at 15 mph than they do at 65!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Maybe we will see you on this years ride somewhere along the way, but not from the rear!
    I have a new Social Networking site catering to the Outdoor Colorado Enthusiast such as yourself, http://www.incoloradonow.com/ It has a bike rider forum where riders have been posting rides, among other Colorado based things to do, as well as the opportunity to Blog there as well. Please join for free when you visit.
    Good luck and we will see you down the road we go!

    ReplyDelete